Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thread: Lawsuit

Private
    PFO Points

Default Lawsuit

I am strongly considering filing a class action lawsuit or something similar in the US Federal Court system to throw out their legislation banning my free choice to play poker on the internet at the site of my choosing. The sites in question are Pokerstars, Party, 888, Merge network and so on. Please chime in with your thoughts on this issue. I would love someone to come out and state how banning these activities constitutes individual freedom for all.

PFO Points

Contact the PPA, Poker Players Alliance. It's a lobbyist group that 'represents' poker players in the US. A lot of us are/were members at one point (mainly due to bonuses offered on various sites, deposit so much, give so much to the PPA, and you earn back more than that, so basically free memberships).

They would be one of the best resources for this type of action, if it has not already been done. The biggest reasons that it's illegal is the Wire act of '68 (?), and various anti terrorism laws. So it's not a restriction of choice per se, but an act of legality. You would probably have to be accused of or party to action involving these laws, before a court will hear you arguments against them. And I believe unless the government starts such actions, a citizen is unable to sue the government. You can't sue to change a law, that what the legislature is for, the courts can only interpret and rule on existing laws.
    Luck is a Residue of Design.

Private
    PFO Points

Well it it is a crime that has occurred whereby the masses have come together and and passed legislation limiting the freedoms of the few and the individual. This law is unconstitutional and should have never been enacted in the first place. If these people are going to keep doing things like this then they need to burn the constitution and rename the country, because I have spent my whole life believing in freedom. Playing poker on the internet is harmless, smoking and cultivating marijuana is harmless, these people who pass theses laws and make these rules and enforce them on another with no act or attempt at compromise are truly the ones who bring harm. All of this bureaucratic bullshit that is in play where I have to pay fees using money that I need for personal use to overturn their rules that are controlling my individual freedom (my life basically) are tyrannical and these people better have an afterlife because they are cultivating home grown terrorism with their ignorance and stupid actions.

PFO Points

Hyperbole and metaphor is quite elegant when used as a rally cry, but will get you nowhere in the legal system.

And marijuana is illegal without a tax stamp. The federal government has the right to tax whatever it wants, they just choose not to issue the stamps. The FDA then proceeded to classify it as schedule 1 drug. While I disagree with that classification, the classification itself is not a law, it's a medical determination. The laws are based around the enforcement of schedule 1 drug laws, which include heroin, cocaine, etc; not marijuana in particular. Lumping drug enforcement into online gambling arguments is ludicrous.

The federal government also has the right to regulate international trade. No state has that power. Every single online poker room was based in 'overseas' (Great lakes are an inland sea?). Therefore, they can limit your options.

Want to do something about it? Call your congressman, writes letters, contact the PPA. In order to change the system you need to work within it. To be honest, I dismiss your point all together if you aren't a member of the PPA. Join the PPA and see what you can do to help change the laws. They already have numerous congressmen on their side, and are constantly working to change what you are complaining about.
    Luck is a Residue of Design.

Thread Information