Bovada Poker Review
Bovada is an online gambling site that offers not only online poker, but also horse betting, sports betting, live dealer gaming, and casino gaming services. Players don’t have to create separate accounts as they can access each of these services on a single gaming account.
Since Bovada was launched in December 2011, it has ample industry experience and knows exactly how to keep its customers happy. Players who register right now can enjoy a new player bonus of up to $500, which translates into plenty of poker play.
Brief History of Bovada Poker – The parent of Bovada.lv is Bodog, a gaming company that has licensed Bovada.lv to the Mohawk Morris Gaming Group (MMGG). The MMGG has its headquarters in the Mohawk Territory in Kahnawake in Canada and enjoys excellent reputation in the online gaming world.
Although Bovada.lv was born only in 2011, the poker gaming service was online under the brand name of Bodog right from 2007. Later, Bovada.lv was created exclusively for the benefit US players while Bodog Poker continued to exist chiefly for non-US players.
The story of Bodog, however, dates back to 1997. The company has its roots in Cyberoad, a software company that provided online sports betting software platforms for sportsbooks such as GrandPrixSports.com, TheBigBook.com, and MayanSports.com. A couple of years later, Cyberoad acquired eBanx, a payment processor that enabled bettors to use credit cards to load their accounts, but withdraw winnings through eChecks.
Unfortunately, Cyberoad collapsed, leaving three online sportsbooks without a software provider. While TheBigBook.com acquired GrandPrixSports.com and then partnered with a software provider called eSportz, MayanSports.com vanished from the scene.
In 2001, MayanSports.com players received an email from a strange company to Bodog, requesting them to login at Bodog using their MayanSports login details. Later, it came to light that Bodog was a brand belonging to eSportz. To cut a long story short, Bodog continued to grow as a brand, experienced setbacks and got into controversies as all companies do, and split into several versions for different markets. Today, it is an internationally acclaimed brand, the home of poker players from different parts of the world.
Bovada Poker Shuts Down and Reappears – Bovada took down its online poker services in September 2016, but re-introduced the same in response to public demands in August 2017. Before its shutdown in September 2016, Bovada was one of the most popular poker sites in the world. According to the figures at PokerScout, it occupied the third position as far as traffic is concerned.
Bovada Poker now operates on the PaiWangLuo Poker Network, which had acquired Bodog Poker Network along with its skins early in 2017. Although Bovada Poker accepts US players, it remains inaccessible to players from Delaware, New Jersey, and Nevada, three US states that have regulated and licensed online poker. The online poker room is believed to be licensed in Kahnawake although it does not display any licensing information on its website.
Safety & Security – Players can rest assured that their private information and money is safe and secure at the online poker room. This is because Bovada gives top priority to maintaining the security and trust of its registered players. The online poker room uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) digital encryption technology. The padlock that players can see on their browser indicates that the online poker room is 100% safe.
SSL technology encrypts players’ information as soon as they reveal it on the website. The system than stores player data in servers secured with the latest firewall technology. Only a selected number of the online poker room’s employees can access player information, and these employees access this information only when players need any help.
Dispute Resolution – Players who have a complaint against Bovada should first send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If they are unhappy about the way the dispute is resolved, they can send another email to email@example.com and request that their complaint be forwarded to a customer care supervisor. If they are still not satisfied, they can complain to the Dispute Resolution Office (DRO). However, the complaint forwarded to the DRO should not be less than seven days and more than six months from the date on players’ first email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responsible Gambling – Bovada Poker has an excellent responsible gambling policy, according to the terms of which:
- Underage players can neither access nor play at the poker site.
- The online poker room requests players to play for entertainment alone.
- The online poker room encourages players to stick to their bankroll limits.
- Bovada advises players who have lost control of their poker spending to approach customer support and get the help and counseling they require.
- Bovada provides a set of gambling management tools to help players control their spending.
- Players can request the online casino to close their accounts if they feel that they have become problem gamblers.
- Players can request the online casino to freeze their accounts for a temporary period of time.
- Players can set their own deposit, gaming session, win, and loss limits.
- Players who feel that they have become problem gamblers can approach non-profit organizations such as NCPGambling.org, Gamblers Anonymous, and Gambling Therapy to get the help and support they require.
Social Media Accounts and Help – Bovada Poker supports player interaction on its accounts on the social networking sites Twitter and Facebook. This makes the poker gaming experience at Bovada truly social, enabling players to share their experiences on social networking platforms and create strong relationships with poker buddies and the poker room staff. In addition, there is a comprehensive Help section and 24/7 support through live chat, online contact form, and telephone.
Who Can Play at Bovada Poker?
Only players who are at least 18 years old can play at Bovada Poker. Players can play for real money only if they reside in a country that permits them to place real money bets online. The online poker room permits only one account per player. It has a policy of shutting down multiple accounts held by one player and seizing the funds.
Players have to provide accurate details on registration. If the online casino is unable to validate player identity, it will request the player to submit supporting documents. Players also have to continuously update their information to ensure that they are accurate.
How to Get Started at Bovada Poker
To start playing poker at Bovada Poker, players have to first download the poker gaming software client. Bovada has software for a variety of devices, including PC, Mac, smartphones, and tablets. Downloading and installing the software client is safe and secure as the online poker room has implemented sophisticated encryption and data protection measures.
The steps to getting started at Bovada Poker are as follows:
- Players can download the software client for Mac or Windows. The red download buttons are available on the Play Poker section of Bovada Poker.
- A dialog box appears on the screen, asking players if they would like to run the program.
- Players have to click on Run to continue the download and installation procedure.
- Once the file has been downloaded, players have to open it.
- Follow the prompts that appear on the screen to complete the installation procedure.
- Players also have to click on the Join button on top of the Bovada Poker homepage to register a new player account if they do not have a Bovada account.
- If players are confused, they can always contact a customer support agent for help.
The minimum system requirements for Mac are:
- Intel processor core duo or a new version
- Available disk space should be 250MB
- Version 16 Flash Player or newer should be installed
- Mac OS X 10.7 (64 bit)
- IGB Ram or more
The minimum system requirements for Windows are:
- Windows 7 or newer versions
- Version 16 Flash Player or newer should be installed
- Available disk space should be 1GB or more
- Intel processor core duo or better
- Sound card for excellent audio effects
- 32-bit color
- Screen resolution set to 1024×768 pixel
- You should have a minimum of 200MB free disk space
Bovada Poker Welcome Bonus – Earn Poker Points Unlock up to $500 in Bonuses
Bovada Poker offers a generous welcome bonus. Players who sign up and load their accounts qualify for a bonus of 100% up to $500.
Here are the steps to claiming the welcome bonus:
- Create a new account at Bovada Poker.
- Deposit some money in your newly created gaming account.
- Download the poker gaming software client.
- Earn Poker Points through real money play during the following 30 days.
- The online poker room will release the bonus as and when players achieve the following levels:
- Unlock $5 by earning 15 poker points and achieving the first level
- Unlock $20 by earning 85 poker points and achieving the second level.
- Unlock $25 by earning 185 poker points and achieving the third level.
- Unlock $50 by earning 500 poker points and achieving the fourth level.
- Unlock $150 by earning 1500 poker points and achieving the fifth level.
- Unlock $250 by earning 5000 poker points and achieving the sixth level.
The welcome bonus offer is associated with the following terms and conditions:
- The online poker room will release a maximum bonus of $500 in US Dollars.
- The online poker room credits bonuses only on funds deposited during a period of 24 hours after registration.
- The bonus has no wagering requirements.
- Players should earn poker points to release the bonus funds into their real money accounts.
Special Features of Bovada Poker
Here is a list of special features players can enjoy at Bovada Poker:
Play on the move – Players can play their favorite poker games not only on desktop computers, but also on smartphones and tablets.
Chat functionality – Players can interact with poker buddies during a game of poker.
Grab a quick seat – Players can get a seat at a cash game table in just two clicks.
Zone Poker – This is Bovada Poker’s high-speed online poker variant.
Anonymous tables – Anonymous tables give poker players an opportunity to play poker without revealing their identity.
Know your all-in percentage – This feature lets players know their odds of winning the pot.
Customize poker table – Players can use this feature to change their table theme. They can choose from six colors or use themes such as soccer, baseball, hockey, basketball, and football.
Card design and animation – Players can not only choose a card design, but also animate their cards in several fun ways.
Multiple Languages – The software client includes support for multiple languages such as Portuguese, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, and English
View hand history – This feature enables players to view their hand history whenever they please and even download them.
Play multiple Zone Poker games – This feature allows players to enter into a Zone Poker game twice and play both entries simultaneously.
Take notes – Players can take notes of their opponents’ playing style at cash games, tournaments, or Sit and Gos.
Rabbit Cam – This feature allows players to view the next card after a hand is completed.
Multiple tournaments – Players can play up to 15 tournaments simultaneously.
Play casino games – When they need a break from poker, players can play a few casino games embedded within the poker software. They can choose from progressive slots, video slots, 3D slots, video pokers, and table games.
Earn Poker Points at Bovada Poker
Players can earn points at Bovada Poker by playing ring games and taking part in poker tournaments.
Whenever players contribute $1 – $4 to the pot, the online poker room will give them one poker point. Accordingly, they can earn 0.50 points for $0.50 – $0.99 of contributed rake, 0.25 points for $0.25 – $0.49 of contributed rake, 0.10 points for $0.05 – $0.24 of contributed rake, and 0.05 points for $0.01 – $0.04 of contributed rake.
The online poker room always awards 3 points for every $1 that players pay as tournament fees. For example, the online casino awards players 15 poker points if they participate in a tournament with a fee of $5 and a buy-in of $50.
However, players should note that the online poker room will remove all the poker points earned if players fail to log in to their online poker, online sportsbook, or online casino gaming accounts for 18 months.
Bovada Poker Games and Tournaments
Bovada Poker offers Omaha Hi/Lo, Omaha, and Texas Hold’em games for mobile as well as desktop players. The following is an overview of all the cash games and tournaments players can enjoy at Bovada Poker:
Cash Games – The online poker room runs all types of cash games 24/7, and the buy-ins are as low as $0.50. Players can choose from the No Limit, Fixed Limit, and Pot Limit formats.
Poker Tournaments – Players can take part in the following tournaments at Bovada Poker:
- Jackpot Sit N Go – These are three – player Hold’em poker tournaments that enjoy a great deal of popularity among recreational poker players looking to boost their bankrolls as fast as possible with a small buy-in. The buy-ins to these tournaments are as low as $2. The starting chip stack is 500 and the prize pool is determined at random.
- $75k Guaranteed High Roller Tournament – This event gives players an opportunity to enjoy high-stakes poker every week and challenges them to win their share of a guaranteed prize pool of $75,000. The tournament is played at 6:00 p.m. ET every Sunday.
- $100k Guaranteed Poker Tournament – This is Bovada Poker’s biggest weekly guaranteed tournament. Played at 4:00 p.m. every Sunday, it comes with a guaranteed prize pool of $100k. The player who finishes first gets a minimum prize of $20k. Players can use their poker points to register for the tournament. They can either buy-in directly to the tournament or qualify for as low as $1.
- $1.5 Million in Weekly Guarantees – Every week, players can win their share of guaranteed prize pools worth $1.5 million at Bovada Poker. The online poker room has designed these tournaments to suit a variety of bankrolls and skill levels.
- Sit and Go Tournaments – The Sit and Go tournaments at Bovada Poker are fast paced. Based on a variety of online poker games including Omaha and Texas Hold’em, they come in formats such as deep stack, turbo, triple up, satellite, double up, and hyper turbo. Players can buy in to these tournaments for anywhere between $1 and $200.
How to Make Deposits and Withdrawals at Bovada Poker
Players can make a deposit by logging in to their account, choosing a deposit option from the dropdown box, inputting the amount they would like to deposit, and then clicking on the Deposit button. The exact amount a player can deposit depends on the preferred deposit method. The limits for Bitcoin are $10/$5000 while the limits for MasterCard and Visa are $20/$1500.
Players can load their accounts using Credit Cards or Bitcoin. Currently, the online casino accepts deposits through credit cards such as American Express, MasterCard, Visa, and Visa Gift Cards.
Players can withdraw their winnings by visiting their account page, choosing a withdrawal method from the dropdown box, inputting the amount they would like to withdraw, and then clicking on “Request Withdrawal.”
The online poker room processes payout requests on a first come, first served basis. Usually, players have to wait 24 – 48 hours for the online poker room to approve/decline their payout requests. Players also have to submit the required documents for purposes of verification.
Players’ first non-Bitcoin payout for a 90-day time frame is free of charge. All subsequent non-Bitcoin withdrawals made during the same time frame have a processing fee of $100.
Players can withdraw their winnings through Bitcoin Cash, Check by Courier, or Bitcoin.
Customer Support at Bovada Poker
Players will never feel confused or lost at Bovada Poker because it has a comprehensive Help section, which includes Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) sub sections on the following topics:
- New Site
To get answers to commonly asked questions about Bovada’s online poker services, players have to click on the Poker FAQ link. Alternatively, they can type their question into the Search in Help box at the top of the page and click on the search symbol to load the required information.
If they cannot find answers to their questions and are still in need of help, they can contact the customer support service by using the online contact form on the Contact Us page, calling the online casino, or launching the live chat window.
Online Contact Form – To contact the online casino through this method and get a response within 24 hours, players have to input their email address, choose an option from the dropdown box, enter their message, and then click on the red Send button at the bottom. Usually, a customer support agent responds within 24 hours.
Telephone – Players can talk to a customer support agent by calling the online casino on the number 1-888-263-0000.
Live Chat – If players click on the Chat Now link on the Contact Us page, the live chat window opens and puts them in contact with a customer support agent.
Play Poker On The Move
Players who have to travel a lot and cannot access their desktops don’t have to miss their favorite poker games. They can simply use their mobile device to log into their Bovada Poker accounts and play their favorite poker games.
Players don’t have to download any app as the mobile casino gaming software is completely web-based. They just have to visit http://m.bovada.lv/poker and log in to their gaming accounts using existing username and password. This gives them instant access to all the cash games, including the Jackpot SnGs.
Bovada Poker FAQs
Q1: How many types of games does Bovada Poker offer?
A: Bovada Poker offers three types of games—Fixed Limit, No Limit, and Pot Limit.
In case of fixed limit games, the raise and bet amounts are pre-determined and cannot be changed. In case of pot limit games, players cannot bet more than the pot value plus the amount required to call on the bet last placed. In case of no limit games, players can bet their entire chip stack if they please.
Q2: Will I get a refund if the online poker room cancels a tournament?
A: The online poker room issues refunds if it cancels a tournament before it begins or before a few players are eliminated from it. Players who have registered for the cancelled tournament will get back their tournament fees and buy-in amounts.
Q3: What should I do if I forget my password?
A: If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it using the following simple steps:
- Click on the login button and then click on the Forgot Password option at the bottom of the login window.
- Input your date of birth and the email address you provided at the time of registration.
- The online poker room will then send you an email which has a link.
- The new link will help you create a new password.
To conclude, we are listing our reasons for recommending Bovada Poker:
- Reputed and experienced company
- Mobile compatible software placed with plenty of special features
- Exhaustive guides to playing poker online
- Weekly guaranteed prizes worth $1.5 million
- Play up to 15 tournaments at a time