A New York woman was brought down to earth with a bump after she mistakenly thought she had won nearly $43m an eye-watering on a slot machine.
Katrina Bookman was playing a Sphinx machine at the Resorts World Casino (which is nearly an All Slots Casino), when the screen lit up with the words ‘Printing Cash Ticket’ accompanied by the eye-watering and life-changing eight-figure sum of $42,929,672.76.
After alerting security and being mobbed by other customers, Bookman took a selfie to document her “win”, but was denied the largest-slot machine jackpot in US history when she was told that she would have to return to the casino the following day to hear their decision on the incident.
When Bookman returned she asked the casino “What did I win?” and a representative for the casino replied “You didn’t win nothing.” In fact, according to Bookman the only thing the casino offered her was a complimentary steak dinner.
Bookman says that the first thing she thought about when the amount flashed up on the screenwas her family. She was raised in foster care, was homeless as a teen and has raised four children all by herself.
“The struggle I’ve been through, it’s hard to cope,” said Bookman.
“I can’t really describe the feeling [following her win], it’s like my whole body just went numb.”
She said that she instinctively had made plans for the money, with buying a barber shop for her son as well as giving back money to her community her top priority.
After the incident, Bookman is now planning to sue the casino. Her attorney, Alan Ripka says that Bookman should at least be able to win the maximum payout that particular machine could offer: $6,500.
“They win and the house doesn’t want to pay out. To me that’s unfair.”
“The machine takes your money when you lose. It ought to pay it when you win”
The New York State Gaming Commission explained that the slot machine had malfunctioned and the innocuous phrase “malfunctions void all pays and plays” is stated clearly on all machines.
The machine in question was pulled from the casino floor immediately after the incident. It was repaired and placed back out for future patrons of the Resorts World casino.