PokerForums.Org Heads-Up Ladder
Rev 8-24-2005, Marm
- Goal: The ladder is for fun, not money. A player can never be forced to play for higher than the set minimum stakes than they feel comfortable with.
- Consistency: For simplicity, all players must have a PokerStars account. Payers are not required to have money in a PokerStars account, but must have the ability to transfer funds to any opponent they play. Matches are not required to be played on PokerStars, but must be played on a site that can offer HU tables of one sort or another (Either Cash or SNG, or both).
- Description: The ladder is a ranking system based upon challenges of other players in heads-up matches. Winners move up, and losers move down the ranks.
- Players can only challenge another player that is within 3 spots above their rank.
- If the Challenger wins, he assumes the defenders spot in the ranks. The defender is moved down one rank, and all players ranked in between are moved down one rank. If the Defender wins, no change occurs. (Example)
- Rankings are determined at the time of challenge, not at the time of the match.
- New players are added to the bottom of the ranking list. To join, just post a new thread stating such.
- Players’ wins and losses are also noted in the ranking, but have no real scoring value.
- Issuing/Posting Challenges:
- A player must issue a challenge by starting a new thread in the Tournaments Forum, stating whom they are challenging, what rank each player currently holds, and what 3 games he is offering to play.
- The Challenger must also send the Defender a PM with the same Info.
- The Defender must then reply in the thread within one week. Replying via PM is not necessary, but is recommended. The words "I Accept" must be in the post.
- The Defender, in the thread, chooses the game to be played from the list of 3 offered. The players agree, in public or private, the location and the stakes to be played. It is recommended that games be made public so others can watch, but not a requirement.
- Upon completion of the match, the Winner must post the results; in whatever format they choose, with the Loser acknowledging the results within the same post.
- A Player may have only one issued challenge pending at any given time. If a player issues multiple challenges, the earliest posted stands, the rest are ignored.
- While a player has a challenge that they issued pending, the player can be challenged from ranks below, per normal challenge rules.
- Both challenges are valid, but upon completion of one, the other must still be valid after the new rankings are determined.
- The Challenger, regardless of outcome, must wait 24 hours from the completion of the match before issuing another challenge. The Defender can issue a challenge immediately upon completion of the match. Either player can accept a pending challenge upon completion of the match.
- Inactive Status:
- If a player does not respond to a challenge within 3 days (72 hours) of posting, or fails to complete the match as agreed upon within one week (7 days), they shall be deemed Inactive, and marked as such in the rankings with (IA) next to their name. Failure to respond or complete results in forfeiture of the match.
- An Inactive player will not count towards the range of 3 ranks when issuing a challenge. (Example)
- Inactive players must post their return to active status in the forum, and cannot issue a challenge for 48 hours after their re-activation.
- Inactive players will be demoted 1 rank every week they remain inactive. If a player reaches the bottom of the rankings, they are removed from the current list.
- Any player that has been deleted that wishes to return, will start at the bottom of the list, but will retain their previous win-loss record.
- A player may willingly become inactive if they know they will be unable to participate for some time. These players will not be penalized with demotions, but must adhere to all other Inactive Status rules. These players will be marked with (ia).
- Inactive Players are not eligible for challenges. Any challenges made to Inactive players will be dismissed.
- The format of the actual match shall be decided by the players.
- Matches can be held in any venue mutually agreeable.
- There is a $3 minimum for stakes. No player shall be forced to play for more than $3 total per match (One $3 Cash game, 3 $1 cash games, etc). The two individual players can agree upon stakes higher than this.
- Free play is allowed, but no player is obligated to accept a match for less than $3 total. If the match is not accepted due to free play, the player requesting free play forfeits.
- The match should be a best of 3 matches, but any format the players wish is acceptable, as long as the outcome is mutually agreeable.
- If a marathon cash game persists, the players can agree upon a winner by mutual consent. If no winner can be agreed upon, play will continue until a definitive winner emerges.
- Any player intentionally abandoning a match forfeits the match. Any player that is forced to leave a match due necessary outside events, is required to complete the match within 48 hours, failure to complete results in forfeiture. Any player unable to complete a match will be placed on inactive status.
- Grudge Matches: Upon losing to a challenger, an ex-defender may immediately, within 1 hour of completion of the match, issue a Grudge Challenge rematch.
- Acceptance of this match is voluntary, and denial of a rematch is not penalized in any way.
- The loser of this next match may then issue a grudge challenge. This may continue until the last winner denies a rematch, or the loser chooses to not issue a challenge.
- The results for each match and final winner must be posted in the challenge thread.
- After a grudge match, the winner assumes the rank being challenged for and the loser is placed immediately below. (Example)
- A losing Challenger from the initial match may not issue a grudge challenge.
- Ladder Management: The ladder is an entity of and within PokerForums.Org (PFO).
- The ladder will be under the supervision of at least one Moderator in the forum. This can be a member not normally of mod status who has been given mini-mod rights to help manage the ladder.
- Rules are set by the members of PFO.
- For a rule to be changed/added, A new post must be started stating the changes proposed. This post must remain open for 7 days for open discussion.
- After 7 days, a new sticky poll will be posted, with a link to the discussion thread, offering an open yea/nay vote on the proposed change. This vote will close 7 days after posting.
- A majority vote is required to amend the rules. Ties will be decided by the “head” mod for the ladder.
- Any issues that require immediate correction can be handle with discretion by the Moderators.
Welcome to PokerForums.org
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
July 28th, 2005 #1
PFO Ladder Rules (*READ BEFORE JOINING*)
Last edited by Marm; August 24th, 2005 at 02:30 PM.Luck is a Residue of Design.
July 28th, 2005 #2Luck is a Residue of Design.
August 24th, 2005 #3
Rules Updated to reflect recent rules voting.
Changes effective now, old pending challenges/matched are not affected, only new ones.Luck is a Residue of Design.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)